Ashwentorrel is a large northern temperate island, Ashwen, and the Torrellian Archipelago. It is a Setting, inhabited mostly by humans. Largely forested with a mix of deciduous trees around the low-lying interior and coniferous pines and spruces in the more mountainous interior.
There are eight Regions in Ashwentorrel:
- Baxtos: The highly-developed trading western section of Ashwen
- Endelren: The south-central portion of Ashwen
- Inner Torrellian Archipelago: The islands closer to Ashwen, includes most of the Torrellian population
- Kimpall and New Grethlin: The pair of cities in the center of the island
- North Fedellin: The plateau northeastern edge of Ashwen
- Outer Torrellian Archipelago: The islands further from Ashwen
- South Fedellin: The plateau southeastern edge of Ashwen
- Wenderland: The storm-ridden northernmost part of Ashwen
Ashwentorrel is a northern temperate region, and has a mix of wildlife typical for that climate. Mammals found throughout much of the Setting include raccoons, ferrets and weasels, mice and rats, wolverines, bears, badgers, otters, cougars and lynxes, coyotes and wolves. Large birds are also common predators and scavengers: eagles, falcons, vultures, osprey and owls are a major part of the Setting's ecosystem; smaller birds and songbirds are also found, but are less frequent and diverse than many other temperate settings. A small selection of amphibians and reptiles are found in the Setting, which is too cold for a large population of cold-blooded, land-dwelling creatures. Small frogs and newts are common, as is an endemic large species of salamander called the millwender. Garter and rat snakes are common, and a few species of rattlesnake in the warmer parts of the Ashwennian interior are the only poisonous reptiles in the Setting.
Coniferous trees and small shrub grasses are the most common flora in the Setting. Pines and firs are the most common type of tree, though only the highest altitude part of North and South Fedellin are entirely coniferous forests. Elsewhere, small stands of maple or other deciduous species are not uncommon. Shrubs and bushes are found throughout the Setting, providing berries, a major source of nourishment for both animals and people in Ashwentorrel. A unique family of plants exists in Ashwentorrel, found in few, if any, other parts of the globe: kinetosynthetic plants. Kinetosynthetic plants feature a specialized filament that can metabolize kinetic energy. Though smaller versions exist throughout the Setting, mostly unremarkable-looking plants, there is a highly-unusual and visible example in the south-central Region of Endelren, especially in the eastern part of that Region, in an area called the Pollex Coast, where the wavecatcher plant plants its tough roots in the coastline and extracts energy from the rough tides and waves that wash over the area.
Society and Culture
Ashwentorrel is around 90% human.
The common language of Ashwentorrel is Anglish, which is widely spoken by almost all humans in the Settings as their primary tongue, and is a secondary language for most other sentient creatures in the Setting. Some common linguistic features:
- Local place-names feature the following:
- the family of suffixes llian, lin, lind and land, meaning "land of"
- the family of suffixes thrin, throm, thria, drin, meaning "most fertile"
- the suffix wood, meaning "forested area"
- the family of suffixes amilia, imilia, alia, meaning "joyous region"
- the family of suffixes nir, dir, rir meaning "place of strength"
- Characteristically common letter combinations in placenames and personal names:
- L, M, R, TR, PL, ELL